Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey is making progress on his road to recovery four months after being shot twice in the head in a drive-by shooting.
Bailey's desire is to return to the football field as soon as the 2016 season but his status with the team remains undetermined, according to head coach Jeff Fisher.
"Sted is currently in the evaluation process, seeking numerous opinions from neurologists and the like," Fisher said earlier this week at the NFL meetings in Boca Raton, Fla. "Just to see if he can not only play, but continue with a rigorous physical rehab program that will put him in position to play."
The 25-year-old Bailey was shot twice in the head on Nov. 24 in his hometown of Miami while serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
Bailey recently attended the Rams' relocation informational meeting in southern California and was at the now-closed Rams Park in Earth City, Mo., working out.
The Rams are set to begin their offseason conditioning program on April 18 in Oxnard, Calif.
"He's been in the building," Fisher said. "We've seen him. He's doing well. He seems like the same old Sted, and he's very lucky as we've all noted to be alive.
"So he's going through that evaluation process. As you can imagine, we don't think there's any history out there (for a player coming back) after the head wounds and all that."
Bailey had 12 receptions for 182 yards and one touchdown in eight games last season, his third with the Rams.