Woods hasn't played since undergoing two major procedures last year.
"While I continue to work hard on getting healthy, I am not physically ready to play in this year's U.S. Open and the Quicken Loans National," Woods said on his website. "I am making progress, but I'm not yet ready for tournament competition.
"I want to thank everyone for their continued support. The positive texts, emails and calls I have received have been incredible."
This year's U.S. Open is slated for June 16-19 at Oakmont Country Club in Pennsylvania.
Woods has won three U.S. Open as part of 14 major titles. This will be the third time in six years that he missed the tournament.
Woods also said he will miss the following week's Quicken Loans National, a tournament he hosts at Congressional Country Club at Bethesda, Md.
Meanwhile, former World No. 1 Luke Donald was one of five golfers to earn a spot in the U.S. Open on Tuesday after a strong performance in a qualifying event at Columbus, Ohio.
Donald, who has been eligible to play in every U.S. Open since 2005, prevailed in a two-hole playoff. Also qualifying for the U.S. Open were Jason Allred, Patrick Rodgers, Scottie Scheffler and Richard Schembechler II.
The sixth golfer in the playoff, Daniel Summerhays, was eliminated when he missed a 5-foot putt on the second playoff hole.
Schembechler, who qualified for his first U.S. Open, is related to former Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler. His grandfather was a cousin of the legendary Schembechler.
In the Tennessee qualifier, PGA veteran David Toms was among 10 players who qualified. Toms will be playing in his 19th U.S. Open.
Kevin Tway, son of 1986 PGA champion Bob Tway, was among three golfers who qualified in Houston.