The memo specifically addressed the talk of Las Vegas as a possible destination for an NFL team and addressed Davis' tour of the proposed stadium site.
The memo was sent to the NFL public relations directors regarding the Raiders' exploration of Las Vegas as a possible destination for relocation.
"There have been reports over the last day about a proposal to construct a new stadium in Las Vegas in connection with a possible move of the Raiders to Las Vegas," the NFL memo stated Saturday. "If your club owner or executives are asked about this, there is no need to comment. If any comment is offered, please keep the following points in mind:
"1. All decisions regarding the location of teams are made by the full membership. Three-fourths of the member clubs must approve any team move.
"2. No proposal made to the league. It would be speculative to suggest that your club would or would not support such a proposal. If such a proposal is made, it would be considered under the league's relocation policies.
"3. There is no prohibition under league rules on a team moving to any particular city. Any proposal for relocation would be evaluated based on the same standards as apply to any proposed move. Those standards are well-known, having just been applied in connection with relocation proposals to Los Angeles."
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Davis toured the 42-acre site that could host a proposed $1 billion stadium. He met privately with Las Vegas Sands chairman Sheldon Adelson, who has said he will fund the majority share of the private-public venture, and Wynn Resorts chairman Steve Wynn, who reportedly is considering a stake in the project.
The stadium was proposed Thursday by a group led by the Las Vegas Sands Corp., would have at least 65,000 seats on property owned by UNLV. Andy Abboud, Las Vegas Sands' senior vice president of government relations and community development, told the Review-Journal that the group is moving forward on the project with or without an NFL team.
The Raiders recently were turned down by the NFL in their bid to move from Oakland back to Los Angeles. Davis' lease with O.co Coliseum in Oakland ends next month as he seeks a new home.
On Friday, San Diego Chargers owner Dean Spanos announced the team has decided to remain in San Diego at least through the 2016 season and will make another attempt to land a new stadium. The Chargers also reached an agreement in principle to share the proposed stadium in Inglewood, Calif., with the Los Angeles Rams if no new stadium is built in San Diego. The new L.A. stadium is expected to open in 2019.
The Chargers now have until Jan. 15, 2017 to decide whether or not to move the franchise to Los Angeles. The Chargers purchased land for team headquarters and a practice facility in Orange County last week.