DALLAS, Jan. 3 (UPI) -- Two goals from Jiri Hudler in the first period helped carry the surging Detroit Red Wings to a 5-4 victory over Dallas Tuesday.
The win was the fourth in the last five games for the Wings, who pulled to with one point of idle Chicago for the lead in the Central Division.
Dallas' Kari Lehtonen allowed five goals on 31 shots.
Ryder's second goal, at 7:25 of the second period, cut Detroit's lead to 4-3. Franzen scored at 11:46 to extend the lead to two goals, and Ryder scored again at 14:07 of the third period.
Dallas had only eight shots on goal in the final period.
- NHL: Detroit 3, St. Louis 0
- NHL: Chicago 3, Detroit 2
- NHL: Dallas 4, Boston 2
- NHL: Columbus 4, Dallas 1
- NHL: St. Louis 4, Phoenix 1
- NHL: New York Islanders 4, Carolina 3 (SO)
- NHL: Toronto 7, Tampa Bay 3
- NHL: Buffalo 4, Edmonton 3
- NHL: Washington 3, Calgary 1
- Jagr out 7-10 days with groin strain
- Chicago's Carcillo suspended indefinitely