UPI NewsTrack Sports

March 8, 2004 at 6:00 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

Ted Williams son John Henry dies at 35

LOS ANGELES, March 8 (UPI) -- John Henry Williams, son of the late Boston Red Sox star Ted Williams, died Sunday in California.

The Red Sox issued a statement confirming the death of the son, who was 35, and who had led efforts to have his famous father's body preserved at a cryonics lab in Scottsdale, Ariz., setting off a family legal battle.

"On behalf of all of us with the Boston Red Sox, we extend our condolences to the John Henry Williams family," the team statement said. "Perhaps no person meant more to the history of the Boston Red Sox than did his father."

John Henry Williams, who played briefly in the minor leagues, was diagnosed with a form of leukemia last fall. He had been undergoing chemotherapy.

"It is particularly sad that leukemia claimed his life, for his father was a pioneer in the development of the Jimmy Fund, which has made such remarkable progress in the fight against cancer," the Red Sox statement said.

Ted Williams, one of baseball's legendary sluggers, died in 2002. A family dispute followed after his son had the body taken to the cryonics lab. The family settled the matter last year.


Sheffield jams thumb, out indefinitely

TAMPA, Fla., March 8 (UPI) -- All-star outfielder Gary Sheffield of the New York Yankees injured his right thumb in an exhibition game, the team reported Monday.

The Web site mlb.com said Sheffield could be out of action up to three months as a result of jamming his thumb while diving for a ball in a 14-5 win over Toronto on Saturday.

He is scheduled to see a hand specialist in New York Tuesday.

The 35-year-old Sheffield, a seven-time all-star, signed a three-year contract with the Yankees in December.


Jets cut wide receiver Conway

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., March 8 (UPI) -- Wide receiver Curtis Conway, an 11-year-NFL veteran, was released Monday by the New York Jets.

Conway, 33, joined the team last season as a free agent.

Previously he played for the Chicago Bears, who drafted him in 1993, and San Diego Chargers.

Conway has 556 receptions for 7,827 yards and 49 touchdowns in his NFL career, including 46 catches for 640 yards and two touchdowns for the Jets last season.


Jailed soccer players seek bail in Spain

MURCIA, Spain, March 8 (UPI) -- Three British soccer stars being held on rape charges in Spain sought to get out on bail Monday.

Leicester City's captain Paul Dickov, Keith Gillespie and Frank Sinclair, who have all won international honors, have spent four nights in a Murcia prison and were due to spend another, the BBC reported.

Luis Ruiperez, a leading lawyer in Cartagena, said submissions have been made, asking for the Leicester City players to be released, the Daily Mail reported.

The three were jailed Thursday over allegations they attacked three women at the five-star Hyatt Regency Hotel in the exclusive resort of La Manga where they were staying.

The women were about to board a flight for Germany when they made the accusations Tuesday at Alicante Airport, but have been persuaded to stay in Spain by police investigating the case.

A judge in Cartagena will review the bail request although it is unlikely that the players themselves will attend any hearing.


New Greek leader vows safe Olympics

ATHENS, Greece, March 8 (UPI) -- Newly elected conservative Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis vowed this summer's games in Athens will be "some of the best and safest Olympics ever."

The election ushers in new caretakers to deal with the problem-plagued preparations for the games, and the games topped his victory speech The Guardian reported.

"We must make the best efforts so the Olympic Games are the best and safest ever held. It is a great opportunity for Greece to show its modern face," the U.S.-educated lawyer told his supporters.

Many projects for the games, which begin Aug. 13, remain seriously behind schedule, including the giant retractable glass and steel roof of the main stadium.

The country's security forces still lack the preparation needed to manage the unprecedented $800 million security operation, although joint U.S.-Greek military exercises begin this week to train for possible threats and attacks, including hijackings and hostage taking.

Karamanlis promised to retain key Olympic planning personnel from the outgoing socialist administration, especially in the security services. However, there are fears his victory may lead to labor unrest from socialist-dominated unions.

Trending Stories