Burned vehicles litter a lot in the ruins of Paradise, Calif., on November 17 in the aftermath of the Camp Fire. Photo by Terry Schmitt/UPI | License Photo
Dec. 4 (UPI) -- Authorities have cut the death toll stemming from Northern California's Camp Fire, as well as the number of missing.
The coroner's office said 85 people died in the fire -- down from 88. The prior count resulted from a mix-up involving remains, said Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea.
"Through the process that has taken place at the Sacramento County Coroner's Office and the autopsy, DNA has now confirmed that the remains in those separate bags were, in fact, one individual in three instances," Honea said.
The Camp Fire, which was the deadliest in California history, burned more than 153,000 acres, nearly 14,000 homes and thousands of other buildings. It was contained on Nov. 25 after more than three weeks.
Forty-three of the dead have been positively identified, including 10 new identifications Monday -- and 39 have been tentatively identified, Honea said.
The number of missing ell to 11, down from more than 1,000 at one point.
Heavy rains last week helped extinguish the Camp Fire, but they also flooded many of the same areas that were scorched by the fire, making it difficult for evacuees to return home.
Portions of Magalia and Concow reopened Sunday and more areas, including parts of Paradise, will open in the next few days.
"We understand the urgency to return to your homes and your properties," Paradise Police Chief Eric Reinbold said. "The process is complex."
In Southern California, the Woolsey and Hill fires are now 100 percent contained.