A grease-covered owl was rescued from a kitchen extractor fan at the Alhambra Court Hotel in York, England, and taken to the Ryedale Rehab for a bath. Photo courtesy of the RSPCA
Jan. 20 (UPI) -- Animal rescuers in Britain were called to a hotel at which an owl had been wedged for two days in a greasy kitchen extractor fan.
The RSPCA said animal rescue officer Leanne Honess-Heather was dispatched Monday to the Alhambra Court Hotel in York, England, after the closed facility's owner discovered the source of a sound she had been hearing for two days was an owl trapped in a kitchen extractor fan.
Honess-Heather said the tawny owl "seemed bright and alert despite being trapped."
"When I arrived at the disused hotel, the owl, who had tried to push her way out, was then wedged tight between the fan blades in the extractor," she said.
Honess-Heather said the owl is believed to have fallen down the large extractor and became wedged in the fan while trying to climb out.
"The fan was sticky and covered in grease which made it harder for the bird to free herself," she said.
The rescuer said the owl was freed by removing the fan's cover. She said the bird had no major injuries, but was dehydrated and covered in grease.
The owl was taken to Ryedale Rehab and given a bath.
"They carefully washed the grease off of her feathers using original green Fairy Liquid to ensure no residue was left in her feathers," Honess-Heather said.
"The owl wasn't too impressed by bath time but, after towel drying her off and popping her in a warm cage to dry out, she looked and felt much better."
She said the owl will remain at the rehabilitation center until veterinarians clear the bird to be returned to the wild.