Dec. 3 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Britain said a kitchen fire was caused by a family dog that somehow turned on the microwave.
The Essex County Fire & Rescue Service said firefighters responded Monday afternoon to a small fire at a Stanford-Le-Hope home.
Firefighters discovered the fire had started in the kitchen when the owner's dog, a husky, started the microwave, causing a package of bread rolls inside to burn and catch fire.
The homeowner was not present at the time of the fire but alerted authorities when he noticed the smoke on the security cameras connected to his phone app.
Firefighters said the dog was not injured.
"Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man's dog, but it could still have been more serious," said Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station.
"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke. Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area -- but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use," he said.
"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging. Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think -- so please don't run the risk," Wheal said.