Nov. 28 (UPI) -- Doctors in India treating a man who complained of stomach pain found 263 coins and 100 nails in his stomach.
"The patient was complaining of stomach pain, so we thought of getting an endoscopy done," said Dr. Priyank Sharma, who led the surgical team, according to the Independent. "We were shocked to discover that coins, nails and nut-bolts in his stomach. We come across such a case for the first in our career."
Doctors said the patient worked as a rickshaw driver and, after developing severe depression, would sometimes swallow coins he received from passengers.
"Usually, people start eating abnormal things under certain psychological conditions. He had been eating metal for a year but did not tell anyone," Dr. APS Geharwar, told the Times of India. "Normally, there is no problem until these particles start obstructing the intestines. In this case, the problems had started."
It's not clear how long the patient had been ingesting metal, but doctors were able to remove the objects as soon as they started causing bleeding, therefore preventing any serious damage.
"He cannot be said to be out of danger yet, but he is stable," Geharwar said.