July 21 (UPI) -- Officials with a Florida city's electric utility said more than 22,000 customers lost power when a large snake slithered onto a high voltage circuit breaker.
The Jacksonville Electric Authority said more than 22,000 people lost power early Wednesday when the snake was electrocuted at the Orange Park substation.
Power was restored by 5 a.m., JEA officials said.
The snake, which a trapper identified as a red rat snake, did not survive.
The utility said animal shields and fiberglass brackets are being installed on distribution lines to help prevent animal-related power outages, which JEA said happens about once every two or three years in the city.