Advertisement

Iowa capitol building evacuated over burnt mac and cheese

A burning bowl of macaroni and cheese set off the fire alarm and forced an evacuation at the Iowa Capitol on Monday.

By Kate Stanton

DES MOINES, Iowa, April 28 (UPI) -- Iowa state government workers were forced to evacuate the Capitol building in Des Moines, Iowa, on Monday, after someone's lunch set off the smoke alarm.

Alarms went off around 11 a.m., when an area near the Senate chamber started to smell of smoke. The odor was traced to a microwave and a burnt bowl of Kraft Easy Mac.

Advertisement

The evacuation was lifted after five minutes.

Des Moines Register reporter William Petroski tweeted a photo of the bowl that prompted the smoke alarm.

He said no one was injured.

Secretary of the Senate Michael Marshall told the Register that he's planning to write a memo reminding staff to be careful about using the microwave.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement