Advertisement

Smartphone app catches carbon monoxide poisoning

Bria Spalding used an app called "iTriage" to determine she was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

By Ben Hooper

SOUTH LYON, Mich., Feb. 3 (UPI) -- A Michigan mom said her daughter's sweet 16 slumber party could have had a tragic ending if a smartphone app hadn't indicated a carbon monoxide leak.

Andrea Spalding said her daughter, Bria, was having a sweet 16 slumber party with eight friends at the family's South Lyon home during the weekend and the mother woke up at 5 a.m. with an unusually strong headache.

Advertisement

Spalding said she took some headache medicine and went back to bed, but the girls soon started waking up and complaining of dizziness and nausea.

"They were saying, 'Why are we all experiencing the same thing?'" Andrea Spalding told WXYZ-TV.

The girls, suspecting food poisoning, were picked up by their parents, leaving just the mother and daughter at the house.

Bria Spalding said she plugged her symptoms into a smartphone app called "iTriage" and it told her she was likely suffering carbon monoxide poisoning and needed immediate medical attention.

Firefighters determined there was a potentially deadly level of carbon monoxide in the home.

"They said if we were in there any longer and didn't catch it, it could have been deadly," Bria Spalding said.

Advertisement

Andrea Spalding said firefighters installed a carbon monoxide detector in the home.

"I think everyone should have one after going through this," she said.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement