DREFACH FELINDRE, Wales, March 17 (UPI) -- A Welsh woman said her concerned dog saved her life when she "bashed" on her back as she was choked on some candy.
Rachel Hayes, 40, of Drefach Felindre, said she was eating candy at home when a strawberry pastille became lodged in her throat, the Mirror reported Monday.
"It got stuck in the back of my throat and I couldn't get it back up. I couldn't phone anyone because I couldn't talk," Hayes said.
She said her springer spaniel, Mollypops, was obviously worried about her.
"I was having difficulty breathing but Mollypops' sixth sense kicked in and she knew I was in trouble," Hayes said. "She was insistently trying to help me and I kept pushing her away."
"But she kept coming around me because she could see I was trying to get something from my throat. But I kept pushing her away because I couldn't really breathe," she said. "Then Mollypops came up behind me put her paws on me and bashed on my back with such force the sweet came out."
Hayes said she is grateful to the canine for the rescue.
"I just burst out crying and said, 'I love you.' She came over for a cuddle and I cuddled her. I told her she was a hero," she said. "I gave Mollypops lots of cuddles and, as a thank you, I bought her a squeaky chicken and some doggy sweets."