CALGARY, Alberta, May 19 (UPI) -- It was a gardener's nightmare in Calgary, Alberta, when three homes burned down in a fire officials traced to an innocuous flower planter containing peat moss.
Fire officials say in addition to the three houses lost, two others were badly damaged Sunday when high winds helped flames and embers jump from house to house in a subdivision in the city's northwest, the Calgary Herald said.
No one was injured and damage was determined to be at least $2 million, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. said.
Late Tuesday, fire officials said they had determined the source of the fire to be a flower planter on the back deck of one of the burned-out homes, the CBC said.
There was evidence the planter had been full of peat moss, which like hay, can smolder and self-ignite when mixed with organic material and moisture.
Firefighters issued a reminder to homeowners to be mindful of potential combustion, the report said.
However, they also said a discarded cigarette could have sparked the peat moss, the Herald said.