Advertisement

'Stupid smoking' led to house fire

PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 3 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Oregon said "stupid smoking" led to a house fire when residents decided to use a hole in the floor as an ashtray.

Portland Fire spokesman Paul Corah said the fire began at about 10:30 a.m. when residents apparently used the floor hole as an ashtray for their cigarettes and firefighters had the blaze under control within about 20 minutes, The (Portland) Oregonian reported Thursday.

Advertisement

"If that's true, it shouldn't be a surprise that there was a fire," Corah said of the fire's origins. "That's not careless smoking, that's stupid smoking."

The fire caused about $30,000 worth of damage to the house, Corah said.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement