Advertisement

Pickens admits taking driveway slab

Pickens admits taking driveway slab
Oil billionaire T. Boone Pickens testifies before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee about alternative energy plans for the United States on July 22, 2008 on Capitol Hill in Washington. After making billions of dollars as an oil speculator, Pickens wants to promote the use of American technology, including wind turbines, and alternative energy to reduce the U.S. dependency on foreign oil. (UPI Photo/Patrick D. McDermott) | License Photo

HOLDENVILLE, Okla., July 23 (UPI) -- Texas billionaire T. Boone Pickens said he took a slab of driveway concrete bearing his signature from an Oklahoma home for sentimental reasons.

Pickens, 81, admitted taking the concrete June 18 from a Holdenville home that once belonged to his grandmother after the homeowner, David McCart, reported the slab had been taken from his driveway, The Oklahoman reported Thursday.

Advertisement

"I was sad, and felt a desire to protect what cherished memories I could, most notably the cement that I etched my name into the sidewalk as a youth," Pickens said in a statement. "The crew leading the repairs at the cemetery offered to cut it out, and I authorized the removal. (The hole was immediately filled and repaired, not weeks later as has been suggested and reported). I knew it was city property and, in hindsight, regret that I did not work with the appropriate city officials to seek their permission."

However, McCart said he is still seeking to have the oil tycoon prosecuted and the slab returned to his driveway.

"I don't feel a need to defend myself against his actions because what he had done is wrong," McCart said. "This would not have mattered if it was an empty lot, he still had no right to take property that did not belong to him."

Advertisement

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement