SAN JOSE, Calif., May 13 (UPI) -- A refrigerator stench at a California AT&T call center caused the building to be evacuated and seven people to be hospitalized with nausea, authorities said.
The San Jose Fire Department said a hazmat team was sent to the office complex just before lunchtime Tuesday and determined the odor was coming from an office mini-fridge, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.
The stink caused seven people to be hospitalized with vomiting or nausea and 21 others were treated at the scene by paramedics. All 325 AT&T employees were evacuated from the building.
Fire Capt. Barry Stallard said he does not know what was causing the smell inside the refrigerator, but it smelled to him like rotting meat.
"A steak and a dog and a person, when they all start to rot, it's a horrible thing," he said.