CHICAGO, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- A lawsuit against a Chicago restaurant claims a man became violently ill after eating a salmon salad at the establishment and later passing a 9-foot tapeworm.
Anthony Franz claims in his suit against Shaw's Crab House and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, that staff at the restaurant negligently served him undercooked fish in August 2006 that led to him becoming seriously ill for several days after his meal, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.
The suit says the illness culminated in Shaw passing a 9-foot tapeworm that his pathologist said could only have come from "undercooked fish, such as salmon."
Franz's suit is seeking $100,000 for his pain, suffering, lost wages and "lost enjoyment of life."
However, Carrol Symank, vice president of food safety for Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, said the company has conducted an inquiry that concluded the restaurant was not to blame for Franz's condition.
"We have done a thorough investigation and we're confident the restaurant is not the source," he said.