Feds may ban tiny magnets that killed child

The Consumer Products Safety Commission may ban tiny magnets that killed child.
By Heather Records  |  Sept. 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

WASHINGTON, Sept. 3 (UPI) -- On Wednesday, the CPSC announced 1,700 children between 2009 and 2011 visited emergency rooms because they swallowed high power magnets. They also said one child died when she swallowed magnets, like those found in desk toys.

The CPSC also said that the magnets are a safety risk to children. This announcement is part of a proposed final rule to ban the type of high powered magnets made popular by Buckyballs.

Those magnets were recalled in July because children could swallow them. In addition to the Buckyball recall, Magnicubes were also recalled for the same reason.

Magnets would only be allowed if they did not fit in a cylinder tube that is used to test choking hazards. The commission is expected to vote on the rule later this month.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories