Please, do not eat the morning glories

DALLAS, June 3 (UPI) -- Flowers growing outside may be a temptation to grab and eat for toddlers just learning to walk but a U.S. physician warns some flowers are poisonous.

"Choose those beautiful yard plants carefully because some of them can be toxic if ingested," Dr. Kurt Kleinschmidt, a medical toxicologist and emergency medicine physician at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas says, in a statement. "The joy of watching junior beginning to walk could be offset by a medical crisis if he eats those previously unreachable flowers."


Azaleas, caladiums, chrysanthemums, daffodils, hyacinth, hydrangea, iris, jonquils, morning glories, mums and periwinkles are all potentially harmful flowers and should not be within reach of the small child, Kleinschmidt says.

However, begonias, crape myrtles, gardenias, geraniums, honeysuckle, impatiens, marigolds, petunias, roses and zinnias are considered safe, Kleinschmidt notes.

Latest Headlines