COVENTRY, England, Sept. 29 (UPI) -- A 14-year-old girl British girl died and several others were hospitalized after being vaccinated against the human papilloma virus, officials said.
Natalie Morton died Monday after being vaccinated with Cervarix at her school in Coventry, The Times of London reported Tuesday.
Several classmates were hospitalized the same day with side effects from Cervarix, a vaccine that protects against cervical cancer, The Times reported.
Morton's is the first death in a national campaign that has vaccinated more than 1.4 million girls against the papilloma virus, British health authorities said.
The batch of Cervarix used at the school was quarantined and vaccinations at Coventry schools suspended pending a "full and urgent investigation," a local health expert said.
In all, 4,657 adverse reactions from Cervarix have been reported during the national vaccination campaign, most of them allergic reactions and dizziness and nausea. Cervarix is considered safe, however, and has met rigorous safety standards, British health officials said.