NEW YORK, Nov. 21 (UPI) -- Kate Gosselin says son Collin's social and educational issues left her little choice but to send him away for treatment.
The 41-year-old reality star insisted on Monday's episode of Good Morning America that enrolling 12-year-old Collin in a live-in learning facility was a "necessary" decision.
"It was not even really a choice. It was on the advice of his doctors, and it had to happen. He's plodding along -- and we are too -- but it definitely was necessary. I'll go to the ends of the Earth for the best for each one of them. This is the best thing I can do for him right now," Gosselin said.
"Yeah, [we] definitely [have contact], but it's not the same as being at home," she added before denying child abuse claims. "I'm in the public eye. I've been investigated many times. It's always unfounded, obviously."
Gosselin had revealed in the Sept. 5 issue of People that Collin has "special needs" and is enrolled in a program away from home. She didn't reveal her son's specific diagnosis, but said his issues have been a "struggle" for a "very long time."
"[He] needs to learn certain strategies to help him deal with things," the star said. "[The facility will teach him] the skills he need to be the best him he can be."
Gosselin shares Collin and seven other children -- 16-year-old twins Cara and Mady and Collin's fellow sextuplets Aaden, Alexis, Hannah, Joel and Leah -- with ex-husband Jon Gosselin. Jon told Entertainment Tonight last week that Kate refuses to tell him where Collin is.
"We are both court-ordered not to speak about the care and custody of our children in detail. I've known all along where he is, but the world doesn't know... and I'll leave it at that," Kate responded on GMA.
Kate, Jon and their children came to fame on the TLC series Jon & Kate Plus 8, which was renamed Kate Plus 8 after the couple's divorce in 2009. The show will return to television Tuesday.