LOS ANGELES, June 30 (UPI) -- Walt Disney Animation Studios says it has green-lit a sequel to its 2012 animated blockbuster Wreck-It Ralph.
The Oscar-nominated team from the original film, including director Rich Moore and producer Clark Spencer, is reuniting for the follow-up. Phil Johnston has joined Moore as director and writer on the project.
The film will hit theaters on March 9, 2018.
"From the moment we started working on the first Wreck-It Ralph, we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters," Moore said in a statement Thursday. "This time, Ralph's wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web -- as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them -- and the actors who voice them -- once again."
"Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart," added Reilly. "I'm really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first Wreck-It Ralph was one of the most special experiences I've ever had and I'm really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I've met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!"
Walt Disney Animation's Gigantic will now move to Nov. 21, 2018. It was previously slated to debut on March 9, 2018.