Royals request respect amid report Thomas Markle won't attend wedding

By Daniel Uria  |  May 14, 2018 at 7:17 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

May 14 (UPI) -- Kensington Palace issued a statement Monday following a report Meghan Markle's father won't attend her wedding to Prince Harry.

Britain's royal family requested "understanding and respect" be extended to Meghan Markle's father, Thomas Markle, amid the "difficult situation."

"This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding," the statement read.

Earlier Monday, TMZ reported Thomas Markle would not attend the wedding after it was revealed he allowed a photo agency to take staged pictures of him preparing for the wedding.

The report stated he grew to regret the photos and decided not to attend the wedding so as not to embarrass the royal family or his daughter.

In an interview on British TV network ITV, Meghan Markle's half-sister, Samantha Markle, said she urged their father to stage the photos to help improve his image.

"I said the world has no idea that you're getting in shape and doing healthy things," she said. "They don't photograph you buying vegetables and pH water, they photograph you in as unflattering ways as they can. I said, 'Really you need to show the world you are getting in shape and doing great, healthy things.' So I suggested it."

Samantha Markle also dismissed the idea that her father had been paid to take the photos.

"I do not believe so. That was not the motive -- it was my suggestion," she said. "I have no idea. But if he did, I am going to assume it was a pittance -- they don't pay that much. It really was so the world could see him doing the healthy things."

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories