SEATTLE , Calif., Dec. 8 (UPI) -- Amazon says its best-selling book of 2016 is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany.
The play continues the story of Harry Potter -- now an adult wizard and family man -- who was the main character in seven blockbuster novels penned by Rowling. The staged version of the drama is currently the hottest ticket in London. It is heading to Broadway in 2018.
"This year's best-selling list showcases the variety of Amazon readers' tastes, from literary fiction to thrillers to memoirs," Chris Schluep, Amazon's senior book editor, said in a statement Wednesday. "The power of Potter is still strong, and readers of all ages can't get enough of Hogwarts. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was the most anticipated book of the year, breaking pre-order records months before its release."
The Top 10, best-selling books of 2016 are:
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany
2. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
3. The Whistler by John Grisham
4. The Last Mile by David Baldacci
5. Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard
6. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
7. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
8. Night School: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child
9. The Black Widow: Book 16 of Gabriel Allon Series by Daniel Silva
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid No. 11: Double Down by Jeff Kinney