The confirmation comes from a statement released by Jolie's representative Monday that states that Pitt will still be able to see his children through "therapeutic visits."
"We can confirm that childcare professionals have encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides over a week ago," the statement reads.
"In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother's custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father. This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children's best interest," reads the statement.
"We are not in a position to discuss the details," continues the statement. "We hope now that it is clear that the events which led to the dissolution filing involved minor children and their well being, there will be understanding of the sensitivity of the family situation. We believe that all sides are committed to healing the family and ask for your consideration during this difficult time."
People magazine, however, cited sources close to the situation that said the agreement mentioned in the statement is said to be a temporary deal until a more permanent solution is reached and that Pitt will continue to push for joint physical custody.
Jolie, 41, filed for divorce from Pitt, 52, in September after being together for over a decade citing irreconcilable differences. At the time of the filing, the actress requested sole custody of their children, 15-year-old Maddox, 12-year-old Pax, 11-year-old Zahara, 10-year-old Shiloh and 8-year-olds Knox and Vivienne.
Shortly afterwards the FBI confirmed that they were evaluating claims that Pitt committed child abuse while the family was aboard a private jet.
In a statement Pitt previously noted, "I am very saddened by [the divorce], but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids. "I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time."