MINNEAPOLIS, April 28 (UPI) -- New reports have indicated that prescription painkillers were found in Prince's possession at the time of his death. The DEA has been asked to join the investigation.
Prescription opioid medication was found on Prince and inside his Paisley Park home, reported CNN Wednesday citing law enforcement sources. The drug is commonly used to treat pain.
Authorities told CNN that they believe a health scare which occurred a week before the legendary musician's death was the result of Prince reacting to the pain medication. He was unresponsive during the incident and was later treated for a drug overdose.
The revelation comes after NBC News revealed that the county sheriff investigating Prince's death is asking for help from the DEA. The administrations role in the investigation will be to help determine where the medications came from and exactly which ones the singer had in his possession.
Investigators are awaiting the results from the autopsy and toxicology tests, which could take weeks, in order to fully understand the cause of death.
"The Purple Rain" and "Raspberry Beret" singer died at the age of 57 last Thursday in his Minnesota estate.