Advertisement

NYC premiere of 'The Interview' canceled amid threats from Sony hackers

Hackers behind the massive leak of Sony documents have threatened to attack theaters showing "The Interview."

By Kate Stanton
NYC premiere of 'The Interview' canceled amid threats from Sony hackers
Premiere of "The Interview" in Los Angeles on December 11, 2014. UPI/Jim Ruymen | License Photo

NEW YORK, Dec. 17 (UPI) -- Landmark's Sunshine Cinema has decided to cancel Thursday's premiere of The Interview in New York City, after the hackers responsible for the Sony leak threatened attacks on theaters showing the film.

The Interview, in which Seth Rogen and James Franco play TV journalists who attempt to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, premiered without incident in Los Angeles last week.

Advertisement

But hackers, calling themselves Guardians of Peace, took to the web on Tuesday threatening to punish theaters that show the film.

Part of the message reads:

Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made. The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

A Department of Homeland security official told Mashable that there is "no credible intelligence" of a current plot against U.S. theaters.

A spokeswoman for the FBI told The New York Times that it is "aware of the threat and is continuing to investigate the attack on Sony."

Advertisement

Lanmark's announcement comes on the heels of Carmike Cinemas' decision to pull its planned screenings of The Interview, set for release on Christmas Day.

It is unclear who is behind the Sony hack, but some suspect North Korea. The North Korean government referred to the film as an "act of war" last June.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement