TV's Ed McMahon dead at 86
LOS ANGELES, June 23 (UPI) -- Famed U.S. television personality Ed McMahon has died, his agent said Tuesday. The former "Tonight Show" sidekick and "Star Search" host was 86.
CNN reported the news of the celebrity's death early Tuesday at the Ronald Reagan/UCLA Medical Center in California, but did not immediately say what the cause was. McMahon had been hospitalized since last month for cancer, NBC said.
McMahon was to Johnny Carson what Hugh Downs had been to Jack Paar. And when Paar retired from the "Tonight" show, Carson stepped in as his successor and brought with him McMahon, who had been his foil on "Who Do You Trust?", as his "Tonight" associate from 1962 to 1992.
Edward Lee McMahon was born in Detroit on March 6, 1923. His family moved to Philadelphia and he worked his way through Catholic University, earning money through side jobs in Atlantic City. After receiving his bachelor's degree in speech, McMahon starred in a television show for children in Philadelphia.
During the Korean War, McMahon flew as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Marines.
Following his discharge from the Marines, McMahon teamed up with Carson on "Who Do You Trust?" He also landed roles in "The Incident" and the "Dick and Jane" movies, was a popular TV ad pitchman and served as co-host, along with Dick Clark, of the 1980s show "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes."
McMahon is survived by his third wife, Pamela, and five children. CNN said the star's son Michael died in 1995.
Brown pleads guilty to hitting Rihanna
LOS ANGELES, June 23 (UPI) -- Recording artist Chris Brown pleaded guilty to a felony assault charge Monday in a Los Angeles court for hitting his then-girlfriend, singer Rihanna.
TMZ reported Brown, 20, received no jail time, but will serve 180 days of community labor, such as road cleanup, in Virginia where he lives.
He has also been ordered to stay 50 yards away from Rihanna, 21, except at entertainment events where he may get get as close as 10 yards. In addition, he will go through domestic violence counseling and be on supervised probation for five years, TMZ said.
Brown initially pleaded not guilty to assaulting Rihanna during a heated argument in a car last February, but changed his plea Monday.
"Mr. Brown, I think it's commendable that you took responsibility for your conduct," People.com quoted Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg as saying during the hearing.
People.com said formal sentencing will be Aug. 5 when a second charge of making criminal threats will be considered for dismissal.
"I want Mr. Brown to be treated the same as any other defendant who would come into this court," the judge said. "That means something like Caltrans (trash pickup) or graffiti removal, and a two-week domestic violence program."
Several of Brown's family members and friends were on hand to watch.
People.com said after Brown left the courtroom, Rihanna appeared before the judge to learn the terms of the deal. Rihanna had asked the judge not to order Brown from getting close to her, the report said.
Jon & Kate confirm divorce plans
NEW YORK, June 23 (UPI) -- U.S. reality television stars Jon and Kate Gosselin have confirmed they are divorcing after 10 years of marriage.
The announcement ends weeks of speculation that the parents of twins and sextuplets and the subjects of TLC's "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" series were splitting up.
People.com reported Monday that Kate had filed for divorce earlier in the day.
An hour-long episode of "Jon & Kate," in which the couple confirmed their decision to separate, aired Monday night.
"Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children," Kate explained in a statement issued to People.com Monday night. "While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children."
"This afternoon, Kate filed for divorce. Our kids are still my No. 1 priority," Jon said in a separate statement Monday night. "I love them and want to make sure they stay happy, healthy and safe. My job is being the best, most supportive and loving father that I can be to my kids, and not being married to Kate doesn't change that. ... We are no different than other couples and parents who are facing a crossroads in their marriage. I am, of course, deeply saddened that we are divorcing."
McConaughey's gal pal pregnant again
LOS ANGELES, June 23 (UPI) -- U.S. actor Matthew McConaughey says on his Web site his model girlfriend Camila Alves is pregnant with their second child.
The celebrity couple are already the parents of 11-month-old Levi.
"Happy Father's Day. It's my first, and the last 11 months with Levi and Camila have been the most rewarding adventure to date," McConaughey wrote on his Web site Sunday. "We have more blessed news to celebrate this Father's Day that (will) make this time next year double the fun. Levi is going to be a big brother... Yeah, we pulled off the greatest miracle in the world one more time. Camila and I are expecting our second child, bringing more life into the world, making more to live for. The future looks bright as the family grows.... Just keep living, Matthew and Camila."
McConaughey did not reveal the baby's gender or due date.