Advertisement

Swayze angry about tabloid lies

American actor Patrick Swayze attends a photocall for the musical Guys and Dolls at The Century,Piccadilly in London on June 5,2006. (UPI Photo/Rune Hellestad)
American actor Patrick Swayze attends a photocall for the musical Guys and Dolls at The Century,Piccadilly in London on June 5,2006. (UPI Photo/Rune Hellestad) | License Photo

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 2 (UPI) -- Hollywood actor Patrick Swayze says contrary to reports saying otherwise he hasn't taken a turn for the worse and started saying goodbye to his loved ones.

The 56-year-old star of "The Outsiders," "Dirty Dancing," "Ghost" and "Point Break," has been battling pancreatic cancer for months.

Advertisement

He recently wrapped work on the upcoming TV show "The Beast," while undergoing treatment for the disease.

Although media reports last week suggested Swayze was losing his fight, the actor issued an exclusive statement to People magazine Tuesday refuting the claims.

"I'm very proud of the work I've done on my new series 'The Beast,' and I am happy to be back home for the holidays. It's a great feeling of accomplishment to say you're gonna do something and do it," Swayze said.

He added, however, that "the only thorn in my side" is how "many tabloids have been consistently reporting lies and false information about me and those close to me."

"They're reporting that I'm on my last legs and saying goodbye to my tearful family," he said. "Pancreatic cancer is an aggressive disease and from the moment I was diagnosed, I knew I was in for the fight of my life. It's a battle, and so far, I've been winning. ... It's upsetting that the shoddy and reckless reporting from these publications cast a negative shadow on the positive and good fight I'm fighting. For me, my family, and those close to me, it amounts to downright emotional cruelty. That makes me angry when hope is so precious."

Advertisement

Latest Headlines