Manager denies Doherty suicide attempt
LONDON, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- Pete Doherty's manager said the troubled British rock star didn't try to commit suicide during a recent stint in rehab, the BBC reported.
Johnny Jeannevol, who has been described as the singer's minder, has publicly claimed Doherty deliberately overdosed on pills at the Clouds House clinic in Wiltshire
because he was distraught over his breakup with model Kate Moss.
The News of the World quoted Jeannevol as saying: "Pete's been really wound up over Kate showing off her new man. He saw an opportunity to take an overdose and took it. He told me he didn't know what the pills were but ... took them all."
The incident allegedly happened after Moss started dating singer Jamie Hince.
However, Doherty's manager, Andy Boyd, called the report of a suicide attempt "totally untrue" and denied Jeannevol was Doherty's "minder."
Doherty left rehab last week after six weeks of treatment. He has admitted driving while in possession of crack cocaine, heroin, ketamine and cannabis in Kensington last May.
A court last week postponed sentencing Doherty for the drug and driving offenses to allow him to deal with his drug addiction. He is expected back in court Oct. 26.
Four charged in Leonardo theft case
GLASGOW, Scotland, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- Four men have been charged in Scotland with conspiracy to rob and extort money in connection with the theft of a Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece.
The suspects -- who were arrested last week after police recovered Leonardo's painting, "Madonna with the Yarnwinder" in Glasgow -- appeared separately at Dumfries Sheriff Court.
Robert Graham, 55, and John Doyle, 58, both of Ormskirk; Calum Jones, 52, of Kilmacolm; and Marshall Ronald, 51, of Skelmersdale made no plea or declaration and were committed for further examination, the BBC has reported.
All four were granted bail with conditions.
So far, nobody has come forward to claim any reward as a result of the recovery of the artwork, the BBC said.
The painting is valued at more than $60 million.
Springsteen has no plans to retire
ASBURY PARK, N.J., Oct. 8 (UPI) -- U.S. rock icon Bruce Springsteen is 58 years old and worth millions of dollars but he says he has no plans to stop touring any time soon.
"What else would I do?" Springsteen asked an interviewer on CBS's "60 Minutes." "Am I going to garden? Why would you stop? I mean, you play the music and you know, grown men cry. And women dance. That's why you do it."
Asked if it is still good to be a rock star, Springsteen said: "I would say that, yes, it is. But the 'star' thing I can live with. The music I can't live without."
Admitting he is what his son would call an "attention whore," Springsteen told "60 Minutes": "But you have to be one of those or else why would you be up in front of thousands of people, you know, shaking your butt?
"But at the same time, when it comes down to it, it's the way it makes you feel. I do it because of the way it makes me feel when I do it. It gives me meaning, it gives me purpose," he explained.
"Magic," Springsteen's latest collaboration with the E Street Band, was released last week.
Berry: There's 'no bad' to being pregnant
NEW YORK, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- Hollywood actress Halle Berry has no complaints about being pregnant, People.com reported.
"There's no bad," Berry said Sunday while promoting her new film "Things We Lost in the Fire."
"There is nothing bad about it. The morning sickness and the vomiting and the hot sweats. Nothing's been bad about it. I've loved every second of it," she said.
Berry, who is four months pregnant, said she hopes the current fashions, with their high waists and billowy fabrics, will allow her to avoid maternity clothes until she is much further along.
"Fashion is on my side," she said. "Everything is up here and shifty, so I think I can work it out in normal clothes with normal designers in their collections until the eighth or ninth month, then I might have to break down and do maternity."