NEW YORK, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- New York Public Schools Chancellor Joel Klein says the Harlem Boys Choir will be evicted from a public school-owned building no matter what.
Klein made made the comment Monday on the heels of an announcement by former N.Y. Mayor David Dinkins that $1 million had been raised to help the indebted choir meet a $5 million shortfall, the New York Post reported Tuesday.
"We're not prepared to back off ... this has been going on a long time," Klein said.
The choir was ordered to be out of the school by Jan. 31.
The key dispute appears to center around the choir's violation of a 2004 agreement it made with New York school officials to remove the director and Boys Choir founder Walter Turnbull.
Turnbull was accused of mishandling complaints that a choir staffer molested a 13-year-old boy.
After the eviction was announced, Dinkins took over the choir's direction has been mounting an aggressive fundraising campaign.