In a photo released by the Crown Office, Lockerbie bomber Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, the Libyan man who was convicted of the deadly 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, is shown in his passport picture on August 20, 2009. Al-Megrahi, diagnosed with terminal cancer, was released today by Scottish officials on compassionate grounds and returned to Libya. UPI/Crown Office | License Photo
EDINBURGH, Scotland, Sept. 26 (UPI) -- The Scottish government said it was reaching out to Libya's Transitional National Council for help with the Lockerbie bombing case.
Lockerbie bomber and former Libyan intelligence officer Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was released from prison by Scottish officials in August 2009 on compassion grounds because of a terminal prostate cancer diagnosis.
The Scottish government in August said there was contact with Megrahi's family and stated that his medical condition is consistent with someone suffering from terminal prostate cancer.
A spokesman for the government was quoted by the BBC as saying it decided that Megrahi acted as a member of the former regime's intelligence service, adding he likely didn't act alone.
"The (government) will continue to pursue lines of inquiry that become available and following recent events in Libya has asked the TNC, through the (British) Foreign and Commonwealth Office, for assistance with the investigation," the spokesman said.
Following the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico last year, U.S. lawmakers started examining whether Megrahi's release was tied to a BP deal to look for oil in Libya. British, Scottish and BP officials deny charges Megrahi's release was related to oil.
The TNC gained political dominance in Libya after Tripoli fell into rebel hands in August. Energy companies working in the country said that although infrastructure is badly damaged, oil exports from the North African country should resume soon.