QUETTA, Pakistan, July 26 (UPI) -- Provincial officials in southwestern Pakistan warned the response to flooding in the region hasn't kept pace with the severity of the humanitarian emergency.
Heavy rains during the monsoon season triggered flash floods in southern Pakistan that claimed the lives of at least 50 people and affected another 50,000 in parts of Balochistan province.
Maj. Gen. Saleem Nawaz, who heads a provincial paramilitary force, said his soldiers were working to "move affected people to safe locations," he was quoted by the United Nations' humanitarian news agency IRIN as saying.
Local officials, however, complained to the news agency that despite the widespread devastation, the response so far has been lax.
"Three hundred families have been affected and they are all living in relief camps but till now just 100 tents and 200 bags of wheat have been received," said Nasrullah Rind, a district leader in the province.
District managers have declared a state of emergency in the flood zones as a collapsed bridge has cut parts of Balochistan province off from the rest of the country.
Weather officials said rainstorms are expected to continue along the border areas of western Pakistan. Monsoon season in the country stretches into September.