Lockerbie bomber report blocked

Dec. 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter
| License Photo
Sign up for our Energy newsletter

LONDON, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- Authorities said it wouldn't be prudent to publish a report into an appeal filed by the man convicted of bombing Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

Former Libyan intelligence officer Abdelbaset al-Megrahi dropped his appeal shortly before Scottish authorities released him to Tripoli on compassionate grounds last year.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission in 2007 recommended that Megrahi receive an appeal inquiry following a four-year probe into his case.

All parties involved in the case need to give their "unqualified consent" to release 800 pages worth of documents outlining Megrahi's appeal. London's Telegraph newspaper reports that it's not clear who blocked the report but its publication was vetoed.

The veto comes as leaked U.S. diplomatic cables revealed that London said a BP deal with Libya might be in jeopardy if Megrahi died in Scottish custody, the Telegraph adds. He is reported to be in a coma in a Libyan hospital.

U.S. lawmakers said after a visit to Scotland in September that the Scottish decision to release Megrahi was "manipulated. The Scottish and British governments, as well as BP official said there wasn't a connection to oil.

BP is set, however, to start exploration activity off the Libyan coast soon.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories
Photos