LOS ANGELES, April 16 (UPI) -- WikiLeaks on Thursday published thousands of emails and documents leaked after Sony Pictures was hacked last year, a move the film company has condemned.
WikiLeaks announced it has published a searchable database of 30,287 documents and 173,132 emails from more than 2,200 email address from Sony Pictures Entertainment.
The documents were leaked after hackers broke into Sony's servers in December. The U.S. government said North Korean hackers executed the attack in retaliation for the release of the comedy The Interview, which poked fun at the country.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said that the leaked documents should be in the public domain because of Sony's links to a number of government organizations.
"This archive shows the inner workings of an influential multinational corporation. It is newsworthy and at the centre of a geo-political conflict. It belongs in the public domain. WikiLeaks will ensure it stays there," he said.
Sony Pictures condemned the move, saying that by publishing the documents, WikiLeaks is assisting cyber criminals.
"The cyber-attack on Sony Pictures was a malicious criminal act, and we strongly condemn the indexing of stolen employee and other private and privileged information on WikiLeaks," a Sony spokesperson said in a statement to Variety. "The attackers used the dissemination of stolen information to try to harm SPE and its employees, and now WikiLeaks regrettably is assisting them in that effort. "
"We vehemently disagree with WikiLeaks' assertion that this material belongs in the public domain and will continue to fight for the safety, security, and privacy of our company and its more than 6,000 employees," the statement said.