LOS ANGELES, June 4 (UPI) -- U.S. fast-food giant McDonald's said it will recall about 12 million "Shrek" drinking glasses because they were found to contain the toxic metal cadmium.
The glasses were sold for $2 each at McDonald's restaurants nationwide as a promotional tie-in with the movie "Shrek Forever After."
Purchasers are advised to keep the glasses away from children and to return them to McDonald's for a refund, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The recall was prompted by an anonymous tip to Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., who alerted the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which tested and confirmed the presence of cadmium in the paint used for the characters on the glasses.
Speier's office said McDonald's voluntarily agreed to recall the glasses at the urging of the commission.
McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker told the Times, "We've had a good, constructive two-way dialogue with the congresswoman's office and with the Consumer Product Safety Commission."
Not immediately known was where the glasses were produced or how the paint used in the "Shrek" characters came to contain cadmium, a carcinogen that can cause kidney, lung, intestinal and bone damage.