SAS demands $77M from Bombardier

Oct. 3, 2007 at 3:50 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

COPENHAGEN, Denmark, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- Sweden's SAS AB said Wednesday it would demand $77 million in compensation from Canada's Bombardier Inc. following Bombardier turboprop aircraft accidents.

SAS grounded its Q400 turboprop fleet and canceled scores of flights last month after two Q400 Dash 8 planes were involved in landing-gear-malfunction accidents -- one in Aalborg, Denmark, and the other in Vilnius, Lithuania.

No one was seriously injured in the accidents.

SAS said it considered Bombardier responsible for the accidents.

SAS Chief Executive Officer Mats Jansson said the airline's compensation demand included consideration for damage to SAS's reputation after its flight safety was called into question, Sweden's English-language newspaper The Local reported.

During the grounding, which affected flights to and from Stockholm, Sweden, and Copenhagen, Denmark, SAS carried out fleet checks, replacing damaged parts on a number of planes, the newspaper said.

It planned to start flying the Bombardier turboprops again Thursday, with full service expected in 10 to 12 days, the airline said.

The multinational airline for Sweden, Denmark and Norway planned to start compensation talks with Bombardier "shortly," it said.

Bombardier wouldn't comment on any SAS discussions, calling them "confidential."

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories