Advertisement

ETA bomb still in hospital

By GILES TREMLETT

MADRID, July 21 -- Thirteen people, mostly tourists from Britain, on Sunday were still being treated for injuries received when a bomb exploded at Reus airport in eastern Spain on Saturday evening. A spokesman for the provincial governor in Tarragona said that five of the injured, including six-year-old British boy Tom Homaly, were seriously hurt. 'The six-year-old boy is the most seriously hurt of all with extensive shrapnel wounds,' the spokesman said. Ten of those who remained hospitalized were British, two were Spanish and one was Irish, he explained. The spokesman confirmed that a warning had been received at the airport between 15 and 20 minutes before the explosion. The warning had been given by someone claiming to speak for ETA, a group fighting for a separate Basque state that targets tourist sites to discourage Europeans from visiting Spain. 'The airport was being evacuated at the time of the explosion,' the spokesman explained. A total of 33 people were treated for injuries received as a result of the bomb. Reus airport is used primarily by charter flights carrying tourists from Britain to the Mediterranean coastal resorts of eastern Spain. Two other bombs exploded Saturday evening at a hotel in the nearby tourist resort of Cambrils and outside another hotel in the beach town of Salou. 'Nobody was hurt in either of those two explosions,' the police spokesman explained. ETA has planted a dozen bombs in tourist resorts and attractions in southern and eastern Spain in the past 10 days.

Advertisement

Most of the bombs have been small and have caused only minor structural damage to buildings. All the explosions have been preceded by warning calls. ETA traditionally targets tourist centers in Spain during the summer months in an attempt to frighten away the millions of visitors from northern Europe who are drawn to the country's Mediterranean coast. Spanish Interior Minister Javier Mayor Oreja said Sunday that the ETA campaign had been designed to discourage tourists from traveling to Spain and to create publicity for the group's separatist aims. 'This attack will not change the government's policy towards ETA,' he said after visiting the injured in the hospital. ETA has killed more than 750 people during its 27-year campaign for a separate Basque state made up of four northern Spanish provinces and three southwestern French departments.

Advertisement

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement