Macao newspaper temporarily suspended

July 24, 1995
share with facebook
share with twitter

MACAO, July 24 -- Macao's oldest existing Portuguese-language daily, Gazeta Macaense, has temporarily suspended publication due to a 'restructuring of its editorship,' a spokesman for the publication said Monday. The newspaper, which published its last issue Saturday, is expected to be relaunched sometime in August, said Jose Rodrigues, general manager of the company that owns the newspaper.

The newspaper's editor-in-chief, Paulo Reis, editor Ramos Andre and photographer Agnelo Vieira were fired Saturday. The reasons for the dismissals were not immediately known. No elaboration on the newspaper's suspension of publication was offered. Reis, 38, had been editor-in-chief of the daily since 1992. He was sentenced by Macao's District Court last month to a 3-month jail term suspended for two years and a $4,375 (35,000 pataca) fine for reprinting a Portuguese newspaper article highly critical of Macao Chief Justice Amaro Farinha Ribeiras. Reis has appealed to the Macao Supreme Court. Reis, a former staff member of the Macao Government Information Bureau, also has made a name for himself as an outspoken critic of the present Macao administration under Governor Gen. Vasco Rocha Vieira. He founded Macao's first Portuguese-language satirical bi-weekly magazine, O Dependente, earlier this month. The Gazeta Macaense was originally established by the late Leonel Borralho, who once was banished to Macao's Coloane Island by Portugal's pre-1974 authoritarian regime for his critical writings.

Trending Stories