UNABOMber halt to mail service ends

July 5, 1995
share with facebook
share with twitter

LOS ANGELES, July 5 -- The U.S. Postal Service resumed deliveries Wednesday of packages that had been barred from the mail for six days because of a threat from the serial killer known as the UNABOMber to blow up a plane at Los Angeles International Airport. The Federal Aviation Administration, however, said heightened security measures would remain in place at the state's six major aiports. The U.S. Postal Service resumed taking packages Wednesday for delivery from California, said David Mazer, a spokesman for the service. 'We're moving all mail, but under heightened security measures,' Mazer said. But he refused to say whether packages were once again being shipped by commercial airlines. The Postal Service operates its own fleet of planes. During the height of the six-day scare triggered by a letter threatening to blow up a plane 'out of Los Angeles International Airport,' the Postal Service had declined to accept any package or letter weighing more than 12 ounces. The UNABOMber has mailed some of his explosive devices and planted others. A day after the threat, the UNABOMber sent another letter, to The New York Times, claiming the threat to blow up an airline was a hoax and demanding publication of his 56-page anarchist manifesto. The Times and the Washington Post are considering whether or not to publish the 35,000-word document, which was also sent to a University of California, Berkeley psychology professor, who responded in print that a dialogue over the bomber's anti-technology views would be better than continued violence.

The serial bomber is believed based in northern California and has killed three people and injured 23 others in 16 bombings stretching over 17 years and the mail restriction was just one of several security measures imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration. 'As far as we're concerned (there's) no change,' said FAA spokesman Fred O'Donnell. 'We're assessing (the situation) and working with the FBI, which is assessing the threat. Based on that assessment we're taking whatever steps we feel are approriate to counter that threat.' The FAA had made some changes in security measures it was not willing to discuss, O'Donnell said. 'The changes are not visibile to the public,' he said. Passengers flying out of airports in California will still be required to show photo identification during check-in and will be asked questions about both checked and carry-on baggage. Travelers were being asked to arrive at airports two hours ahead of their scheduled departure time to allow for increased security, said Cora Fossett, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Department of Airports. 'At a point in time when we, in coordination with the FBI, have determined that the threat has diminished sufficiently to modify the current security level, then we will do so,' O'Donnell said. The FBI calls the man UNABOMber because his earliest targets were universities and airlines. Targets have ranged from California to Utah to New Jersey.

Trending Stories