WASHINGTON, April 20, 1995 (UPI) -- The government is offering a reward of up to $2 million to help catch and convict those responsible for the deadly bombing in Oklahoma City, Attorney General Janet Reno said Thursday. A tight-lipped Reno, presiding over a packed news conference, fielded a flurry of questions about the attack.
She declined to answer many of the queries, citing the need to protect the investigation. Reno said she had spoken with President Clinton about developments in the probe and reiterated that those guilty of the bombing will be brought to justice.
''The government is offering a reward of up to $2 million for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the bombing in Oklahoma City, '' Reno said.
''Though we have many hundreds of leads, we want to make sure we have all relevant information that could lead to the conviction of all of those involved in this event,'' she added.
The attorney general announced a toll-free telephone number, which became active at 5 p.m. Thursday, for the public to call with information about the crime. It is 1-800-905-1514.
''Anyone with information should provide it immediately,'' Reno said, adding that the reward, being supplied in large part by the Treasury Department, will be disbursed according to the value of the information received.
Reno gave little elaboration on the actual investigation in Oklahoma City. The FBI issued warrants Thursday for the arrest of two suspects in the bloody bombing, but the attorney general would provide no more information other than what was given by lawmen at the scene of the disaster. The suspects were identified as ''John Does.''
The Justice Department confirmed a ''possible witness'' in the investigation was detained at Heathrow Airport in London and flown back to the United States. An Italian news service reported that the man's luggage had been confiscated in Rome on its way ''to a Middle Eastern country,'' but that was not confirmed by the Justice Department. The baggage reportedly contained equipment that could be used to assemble a bomb.
Reno refused to identify the man, and would not comment on any connection between him and the two ''John Doe'' suspects sought by the FBI.
Reno did cast doubt on reports of actual arrests in Oklahoma City and Dallas, saying neither she nor FBI Director Louis Freeh had received word of such arrests.
The ''John Doe'' suspects were identified as white males. Asked whether the warrants for their arrests ruled out connection with Middle East terrorists, Reno replied that the government is ruling out no scenario at this point. The attorney general also tried to assuage fears around the country of further terrorist attacks.
''We must face it as a nation,'' Reno said, adding the government is taking all ''reasonable precautions to protect our people.''