JOHANNESBURG -- Violence spread through black townships on the eastern border of Johannesburg Sunday as South African police battled to restore calm following an earlier massacre of at least 30 Tembisa township residents.
Sunday evening 14 more deaths were recorded in nearby Thokoza and Phola Park, police spokesman Maj. Eugene Opperman said in a statement.
Police patrols dispatched to restore calm in the townships were coming under fire and at least one officer had been killed, Opperman said.
The violence appeared to revolve around clashes between township residents and Zulu workers living in nearby migrant worker's hostels, he said.
The violence followed less than a day after marauding gunmen raided Tembisa and killed at least 30 people and wounded another 18, police said.
The African National Congress put the death toll at 35 and said the victims included a five-month-old baby girl who died with her parents.
The Tembisa attack is believed to be the worst single massacre since June 1992 when Zulu attackers killed more than 40 blacks in Boipatong township south of Johannesburg.
Reports from Tembisa suggested the Saturday night attack was a combination of local gang warfare, and political and ethnic rivalry between supporters of the ANC and the Zulu-dominated Inkatha Freedom Party.
The ANC said the violence was intended to derail South Africa's negotiated transition from apartheid to democracy.
At least 200 men armed with automatic weapons fired randomly at Tembisa residents, attacked homes with gasoline bombs and set automobiles on fire, police spokesman, Capt. Wikus Weber said.
The mainly Zulu gunmen were believed to have launched their attack on the mainly ANC-supporting township residents from two local migrant worker's hostels.
Police raided the Inkatha-controlled hostels at dawn Sunday and arrested three men for the illegal possession of weapons, although it was not immediately known whether they were linked to the massacre.
Sunday afternoon, Tembisa was reported quiet with only a few police units patrolling its streets.
The ANC demanded an investigation into eyewitness reports that the attackers were seen climbing into police armored vehicles. Weber immediately denied the accusation.
President Frederik de Klerk expressed outrage at the killings, but said his recently strengthened police force could not stop the violence by itself.
'Violence is a problem for all South Africans,' de Klerk said in a statement. 'All South Africans must dedicate themselves to its eradication.'
Townships on the eastern border of Johannesburg have been the scene of much violence in recent weeks with more than 90 deaths reported in the last week.
Human rights monitors say more than 550 people have died in townships since July 2 when political negotiators confirmed April 27, 1994 as the date for South Africa's first non-racial elections.
The date is supported by the ANC, the government and their respective allies, but opposed by Inkatha and its allies.
Most of the recent violence has either been blamed on conflict between the followers of the ANC and Inkatha, or on black mercenaries working for white supremacists who attempt to use violence to derail South Africa's transition to black majority rule.