WASHINGTON -- Don't light a cigarette until your hairspray has dried.
The Food and Drug Administration Tuesday warned consumers to be careful because many aerosol hairsprays may catch fire if exposed to an open flame.
The warning was prompted after a Kansas woman died from burns after apparently trying to light a cigarette before her hairspray completely dried.
'Hairspray fires are particularly dangerous to the user because the product is used around the head. Others nearby may also be injured,' said FDA Commissioner David Kessler.
Hairsprays with flammable ingredients contain warnings to keep them away from heat, fire and smoking during use and until sprayed hair has fully dried, the FDA said. Many hairsprays and other aerosol products contain hydrocarbon and alcohol mixtures.
The FDA said it was looking into ways to improve the effectiveness of label warnings and also wanted to increase consumer awareness of hairspray-related fire hazards.