Kill him, kill him!' crowds yell at confessed killer

WALLED LAKE, Mich. -- A confessed serial killer pleaded innocent Friday to the sex murders of a young woman and a girl, and a crowd outside the courtroom yelled 'Kill him, kill him!' as he was led back to jail without bond.

Career criminal Leslie Allen Williams, 38, was charged with the murder and rape of Kami Villaneuva, 18, of South Lyon and Cynthia Jones, 15, of Milford. He was also charged with the felony sexual assault of a 9-year-old Wixom girl.


District Judge Michael Batchik did not set bond for the parolee with a 22-year criminal record, and Williams was returned to Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, which is north of Detroit. Batchik set a preliminary hearing for June 9.

Williams has confessed to killing Villaneuva and Jones as well as two other teenage sisters and to at least four unsolved or unreported sexual assaults, police said. He led authorities to the graves of the girls, telling police to put him in prison and throw away the key.

'I don't want to cause any trouble,' he told State Police detectives. 'I don't want to cause taxpayers any grief. I want to be locked up. Lock me up so I don't do it again. I have no control over my life.'


Williams was arrested Sunday after he allegedly kidnapped and tried to rape a woman placing a wreath on her mother's grave at a rural cemetery in Springfield Township, some 40 miles north of Detroit.

Acting on a tip from his former girlfriend, police Wednesday unearthed the body of Villaneuva from a shallow grave in Milford Township.

On Thursday, Williams himself led police to the body of Jones, about 2 miles from the spot where Villaneuva's body was dug up.

He then took police to Oakwood Cemetery in Fenton, where he had buried sisters Michelle Urbin, 16, and Melissa Urbin, 14. Fenton is in Genesee County, a jurisdiction separate from Oakland County, and arraignment in those slayings has yet to be set.

Williams has provided a detailed account of how he abducted, raped and murdered his victims, investigators said. He told police that after burying his victims in fields, he returned to visit their graves.

'God knows what Mr. Williams may have done short of murder, how many women he violated, how many other offenses went unreported,' Oakland County Sheriff John Nichols said.

The murder victims disappeared on weekends between Sept. 14 and Jan. 4, said sheriff's Capt. Glen Watson, the first investigator to speculate a serial killer was at work.


Williams' criminal career began in 1970 at age 17 when he broke into a neighbor's home in Garden City, a Detroit suburb. For most of the next two decades, he was either awaiting trial or in prison.

He was convicted of attempted breaking and entering, larceny from an auto, breaking and entering, assault with intent to commit murder, assault and first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

In 1983, Williams pleaded guilty to assault with intent to commit kidnapping and assault with intent to sexually penetrate for a kidnapping committed less than two weeks after he was paroled from prison.

Williams was paroled in 1990 after serving 7 years of a seven-to- 30-year sentence. At the time of his arrest, he was living in Detroit and working at a gasoline station.

His case has fueled an intense debate over Michigan's parole system.

'The governor's just furious about it,' said John Truscott, Gov. John Engler's press secretary. 'When you can't keep violent criminals locked up, there's something seriously wrong.'

Latest Headlines