HOCKENHEIM, Germany -- Brazilian Formula 1 world champion Ayrton Senna will race in next weekend's German Grand Prix despite Friday's crash during test drives on the Hockenheim course, his spokeswoman confirmed Saturday.
'Ayrton will be able to take part at the ninth Grand Prix at Hockenheim.
He is recovering from the shock,' she said, adding that Senna had flown back to his European home in Monte Carlo Friday night.
Senna, a 31-year-old from Brazil, was taken to hospital at Mannheim Friday with neck and chest contusions after his McLaren Honda overturned several times in a chicane in the final 10 minutes of the test drives.
The spokeswomen said Senna was travelling at 198 mph when the McLaren's rear tire punctured and as a result the right front wheel left the ground.
With only two wheels on the ground, Senna had been unable to bring the car to a halt. The McLaren Honda went 15 feet into the air and was destroyed in the crash.
It was the third incident in six weeks for Senna, who leads the current world championship standings by 18 pointsafter eight rounds. The Brazilian suffered a jet-ski accident in Mexico and a crash at the first training session for the Mexican Grand Prix a few days later.