ZURICH, Switzerland -- AC Milan, the world's premier club soccer team, has been banned from European competition for one season and the German club Dynamo Dresden for two over incidents in matches last week, UEFA said Wednesday.
UEFA -- European soccer's governing body -- suspended AC Milan, winner of the Champions Cup the last two years, when its players did not resume play in a quarterfinal match last Wednesday in Marseille, France.
The suspension will go into effect the next time Milan qualifies for any of the three European club tournaments -- Champions Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup.
Dresden, the reigning East German champion which is expected to join the unified German Federal League next season, was banned from participation in UEFA competition for the next two seasons in which it qualifies.
Dresden's Champions Cup home game against Red Star Belgrade was called off, with the Yugoslavian team holding a 2-1 lead and already certain of a spot in the semifinals, in the 78th minute because of violence by German fans.
The UEFA disciplinary committee said in its ruling that preventive measures were completely insufficient and that the players' and officials' health was endangered.
Olympique Marseille was leading Milan 1-0 in the 87th minute of their second leg when some of the floodlights failed and the match was interrupted.
When the light was restored and Swedish referee Bo Karlsson signaled to resume play, Milan business manager Adriano Galliani ordered his players not to, obviously hoping for a forfeit victory.
It looked as if some Milan stars, including Ruud Gullit, were pleading with Galliani to let them play. Galliani resigned after the match and UEFA suspended him from any European dealings until July 31, 1993.
The result of the game will be officially listed as a 3-0 forfeit victory in favor of Marseille, which meets Spartak Moscow in the Champions Cup semifinals.
Olympique Marseille was fined 25,000 Swiss francs ($18,000) for poor organization.
The decisions against Milan and Desden were announced following a meeting lasting several hours. UEFA spokesman Hans Rothenbuehler said a written report stating the reasons for the decision would be faxed to the clubs Thursday and that they would have 72 hours to appeal.
AC Milan President Silvio Berlusconi said Wednesday night that he planned to appeal.
Dynamo Dresden officials said they accepted the decision.
'I am glad that no other German clubs were involved. We had to expect this penalty,' coach Reinhard Haefner said in Dresden.