WASHINGTON -- Jack Gargan is mad as hell at Congress and he's not going to take it anymore.
The grassroots petitioner is so enraged at the lawmakers he buys full-page newspaper ads asking for pledges to vote all of the incumbents out of office.
Founder of THRO, an acronym for Throw the Hypocritical Rascals Out, Gargan said in a telephone interview that pledges and contributions are pouring into the headquarters of his 'not-for-profit' organization in Tampa, Fla.
'As fast as the money comes in I buy newspaper space for another ad,' said the retired financial planner. 'Everybody is not just positive about this campaign, they're ecstatic.'
Gargan claims his tough-talking ads have tapped a rich vein of public outrage.
'These congressmen have no idea how much they're hated,' he said. 'What I'm trying to do is just get them out of office. You ought to see what the people who write to me want to do with them.'
In a hard-hitting ad text that runs under his scowling countenance, Gargan professes to be 'appalled that Congress continues to hock the future of our children and grandchildren' at a time the national debt has topped $3 trillion.
He is rendered livid by talk of new taxes at a time when lawmakers have just voted themselves their biggest pay raise ever.
'Something's mighty wrong with the system when 98 percent of incumbents are re-elected,' Gargan says in his ad. 'The other 2 percent don't lose. They either go out feet first or in total disgrace for conduct too embarrassing even for congressional standards.'
Gargan admits he is 'sad that we as a nation have thrown up our hands in surrender to the politicians and bureaucrats who have put us in this predicament,' but he promises, 'I'm not going to give in to these clowns.'
Since members of Congress 'devote most of their time and energy to raising money for re-election rather than to running the country properly,' Gargan proposes 'that we simply rise up and vote every incumbent senator and congressman out of office.'
A Korean War veteran who dedicates his ads to his grandchildren, Gargan said he works full time for THRO without salary or benefits.
The only party he supports is the big one 'this nation is going to throw on election day when we throw those arrogant bums out on their collective butts.'