LOS ANGELES -- Entertainer Sammy Davis Jr. is suffering from a cancerous growth in his throat but is expected to make a full recovery after undergoing radiation treatment, one of his doctors said Thursday.
'I'll take the prescribed treatment and, with the help of the good Lord, will be back cooking (performing) by the end of the year,' Davis, 63, said in a statement.
The illness will require changes in a concert series featuring Davis, Frank Sinatra and Liza Minneli -- a star-crossed tour that initially included not Minneli, but Dean Martin, until he became ill last year.
Davis's illness was recently discovered by his family physician, Dr. Gerald Blankfort, during an annual checkup, according to a statement by Susan Reynolds, spokeswoman for the concert tour -- 'Frank, Liza and Sammy: The Ultimate Event.'
The abnormality spotted by Blankfort was later diagnosed by another physician, Dr. Joseph Sugerman, as a carcinoma of the throat, the statement said.
'Mr. Davis's condition is localized, and a full and complete recovery following treatment is expected,' Sugerman said.
Despite the illness, Davis will complete his current engagement atHarrah's in South Lake Tahoe, Nev., ending Sunday. He will then begin radiation theraphy at a Los Angeles hospital next week on an out-patient basis.
Reynolds said four scheduled concerts would be affected by Davis's illness. Sinatra and Minneli will perform without Davis in Toronto Oct. 2, in Landover, Md., Oct. 5 and at a benefit concert in Charlotte, N.C., Oct. 6, but a scheduled concert at Boston Gardens Oct. 3 has been canceled.
Martin left the tour March 21, 1988, when he was flown from Chicago to Los Angeles for treatment of a kidney ailment.
Davis -- a singer, dancer, mimic and comedian who has been performing regularly since the age of 4 -- lost his left eye in a near-fatal traffic accident while en route to Los Angeles from an appearance in Las Vegas in 1954 and, in recent years, underwent hip surgery.