ATLANTA -- The Z-Force roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia resumed operation Saturday for the first time since an 11-year-old Alabama boy died while riding it.
Six Flags decided to put the roller coaster back in action after state and internal investigations determined the machine was in proper working condition Tuesday when William Brett Pope died.
'Basically, there is no concern here,' said Bob Maxwell, the amusement park's spokesman. 'They realize there is nothing wrong with the ride.'
Maxwell said the maximum 1,200 people an hour used the roller coaster Saturday at the park west of Atlanta.
Medical examiners were trying to determine whether Pope's death was related to a fall last month at his Talladega, Ala., home.
An autopsy failed to show what caused the boy's death. Cobb County medical examiners do not believe the roller coaster ride caused a fatal injury.
Pope, who died at HCA Parkway Medical Center in Lithia Springs, had bitten his tongue and was unconscious at the end of the two-minute roller coaster ride, according to his father.
Robert Tressel, an investigator for the Cobb County medical examiner's office, acknowledged Friday that Pope suffered a fall in his driveway a month ago and was hospitalized for one day for observation.
'We just know he fell three weeks ago,' Tressel said. 'We're trying to document the details. If a person has a seizure, there's no way to document it at autopsy.'
The State Crime Lab is running laboratory tests on samples gathered during the autopsy, Tressel said.
Ronald Pope, the boy's father, denied Friday that his son had any history of seizures and said he believed the fall had nothing to do with his death.